Sunday, 17 March 2013

Copycat Dresses - Bubble Dress & Moose Dress

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside

When I first started reading blogs a few months ago, I saw the great dresses made by StraightGrain. She made a cute Deer dress and Bubble Dress, and I so loved the fabric and the dress styles (whose cuteness was increased by her cute daughter) that I thought I would try and make some too.

Copycat Moose Dress by Cicely Ingleside

This is the first one I made. I used the Geranium dress pattern by Made by Rae, and I used fabric bought on Etsy at Big Sky Fabric Shop. It has moose on it, which is suitable because we live in Newfoundland which has an over-population of moose. My daughter was unimpressed by the moose motif until I pointed out that there were some baby moose pictured with the adult moose. That sold her on it.

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside
Jumping on the bed in the first dress.

I added yellow ricrac and buttons at the back. (The ricrac was kind of to cover up the fact that I accidentally cut the pattern for the "top" version, then realised what I did and added on an extra piece to make it into the dress. I know I really shouldn't point these things out.)

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside

Coincidentally, the day after I finished this, another blogger Skirt as Top, published a very similar dress in homage to the same original StraightGrain dress - and also used yellow buttons.  So, obviously I was not the only one inspired!  (I swear I did this sewing beforehand - you can even see my comments at the bottom of the post!)

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside

The other dress of StraightGrain's that I admired was her Bubbly Little Bubble Dress - as much for the fabric as for the dress style.  I searched for it online and found a version of the fabric in purple, which is perfect because purple is my daughter's favourite colour.  The fabric is called Echino Chelsea by Etsuko Furuya for Kokka. I bought it on Etsy from Imagine Fabric.

It was so nice to work with. It's "double gauze" cotton - and I had no idea what that was before this. But it is just what is says - two layers of gauzy cotton. So lovely. I totally want to make myself something with double gauze cotton now.

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside

I used the bubble dress pattern StraightGrain had hand-drawn and posted on her site - I think she's now redoing it in a computer generated version.  Here's a photo of my daughter consenting to be photographed - as long as I didn't brush her hair and let her pose by jumping all over her bed!

Copycat dresses by Cicely Ingleside
Caught mid-jump in the bubble dress. I love this photo.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with the purple one! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover