Wednesday, 24 April 2013

DIY Fabric-Covered Boxes

DIY Fabric-Covered Boxes by Cicely Ingleside

Since I started being 'crafty' a couple of years ago, I have started to accumulate supplies, and I was trying to figure out what to do with them. So after seeing some inspiration on the web (of course), I decided to separate them into boxes and cover them with fabric. 

I used cardboard shoe boxes and diaper boxes, and simply glued the fabric on. I didn't measure them out exactly... I held the box next to the fabric and cut one long piece that would cover the lid and backside. Then I cut another piece that would cover the remaining side, front and other side of the box. 

I tried using Mod Podge, but I actually had better results when I used simple white craft glue. Just squeeze some on, spread it around with a little sponge or brush, and put on the fabric, smoothing it flat and trimming ends. Let dry!

DIY Fabric-Covered Boxes by Cicely Ingleside

The black and white fabric is from IKEA. The magenta is a thick silk I had left over from a sewing project, and the purple fabric is from an old dress I had saved. It was one of the those dresses I found at a stand in an outdoor market, selling things from India made of recycled saris. I find it very hard to resist Indian fabrics. They're so gorgeous. Unfortunately, this one was a bit thin for this project and the glue kind of shows through. But I love the colours together.  

I finished the project off by making tags indicating the contents of the boxes out of black cardstock paper and a white felt marker (all available at a craft store). I used a hole puncher to punch a hole in the tags and tie on a ribbon, and then used washi tape to tape the ribbon to the box. That way, I don't have to look to remember what is inside, and I can change the label easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover