Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Grecian Goddess Dress from a Gauze Blanket

Grecian Dress by Cicely Ingleside


Well, now the Summer of No Pants series is over, and I am happy that it gave me the motivation to sew some of the things I had wanted to try making for myself. However, I am also happy that I don't have to pose for pictures anymore! I can let the cute kids do some modelling.

So, here's a project I made a couple of months ago for my daughter. We were at the mall together, and I came across a gauzy baby blanket with some cute cows printed on it. It was on sale, and it occurred to me that it was even bigger than a meter of fabric, and hey, I could use it as fabric. I thought the gauziness would make a perfect summer dress.

Grecian Dress by Cicely Ingleside
Look at the dress, not the fact that she is inexplicably covering a piggy bank with a headband. 

I used the Geranium dress pattern I'd used before, but because the fabric was a single layer of gauze (not like the lovely double gauze Nani Iro fabric I have used for past projects), I found I had to line the skirt as well as the top. For lining, I used plain white cotton, and it makes for a dress that is still pretty lightweight.

I had to jazz it up, so I added these gold touches around the neck, waist and bodice. Note to self: do not try to iron polyester gold material. It caused some puckering. This was a bit of an experiment in making my own bias tape. Was not so bad but I definitely need more practice.

Grecian Dress by Cicely Ingleside


I really like the gold touches on the dress - I think it makes it seem a bit Grecian goddess-like. I think I was sub-consciously inspired to add the gold because I have a white summer dress with gold on it which is one of my own current summer favourites.

Grecian Dress by Cicely Ingleside
She 'styled' the shoot herself with Hello Kitty watch and sparkly tights.
Here's a picture with what I am going to pretend is a Greek-style pose (but is really just my daughter wanting to lay down). Can't you just imagine the servant feeding her grapes in the background? Hmmm, she'd love that, she loves grapes. Right now, my husband and I are her only servants though.

Grecian Dress by Cicely Ingleside



1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover