Saturday, 7 December 2013

Winter Wear - Subtitle: I Can't Believe I Made an Actual Coat

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside

I remember when I first started reading sewing blogs and I saw photos of people who had made kids' coats and I thought "How did they do that?". So I am a little astonished that I made something that actually turned out to be an actual coat. Really, it wasn't much different than any other sewing project - except that the fabric was thicker. Although I will admit that when I was sewing the lining on and it was all inside out, I had to hold my breath when I was turning it back frontwards, certain that it would look crazy. But it is an actual coat!!

I hadn't planned on making any winter wear, but I found this gorgeous red wool at the sewing store - only two metres remaining. This is the kind of thing they never have - it's usually all polyester blends. And it was on sale for half price!  

First I tried making a hat. I started with this little gnome-like hat:

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside

I used the Pixie Hooded Vest pattern (without the vest) by BigLittle that I found on Etsy. I lined it with a blue winter-themed cotton with little red birds on it.

Then my son wanted one too. So, trying to make it more masculine, I used a grey wool blend and lined it with a foresty-deer print (leftover from this dress I made). 

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside

So these hats were very cute, but I figured they won't cut the wind. I had been considering buying the Winter Wonderland pattern collection by Pattern Anthology (which was sold in a bundle of 8 patterns for a couple of weeks, but now are available separately), and after starting to get all winter-sewey I decided I couldn't resist. The collection included a pattern for the Arctic Trapper Hat by See Kate Sew. Here's the one I made my son:

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside


I used blue wool and bought some fake fur, which was soft but surprisingly on the expensive side. So for the non-visible insides I used some fleece. Very proud of my frugal-ness because I found fleece blankets at a discount store for $10 and now I have way more than I need. And even though the fake fur was a bit pricey, the pattern barely uses any and I have tons left.

For my daughter's coat, I used this pattern I already had bought as part of a package deal: the Bubblegum Coat by SeeKate Sew. I lined it with a silky white lining from the fabric store - it has some slight fuziness to the non-visible inside to give it a bit of warmth - the fabric store salesperson told me it was called 'Kasha' I think? Kesha?  (Not the singer.)

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside

The pattern was easy to sew, and the thick material wasn't that bad to work with either - except for a few broken needles.

My daughter has worn this coat and hat out a few times and we have received so many compliments, which was very nice! 

Getting into the winter spirit I also made a scarf out of the white fake fur by cutting two long rectangles, sewing them right sides together, leaving an opening of a few inches, then turning it right side out and stitching up the opening. Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of it, but you can kind of see it around her neck in this photo where the kids are pretending to pet the deer on our new front hall wallpaper. (Which I luurve! My husband, not so much. Post about the wallpaper to come later once I eventually manage to paint the un-papered walls and hang pictures again.)

Winter Wear made by Cicely Ingleside

26 comments:

  1. LOVE those hats and coat, Nicole! They look amazing! Great pictures of the kids too- the cover photo of Evie looks like it should be in a catalogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Very nice of you to say.

      Delete
  2. I love the bubblegum coat pattern and the red wool is beautiful! You did a great job with both the hat and coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, the pattern was not too hard but also cute so I am happy I tried it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole

    We just received your Christmas letter and photo today so I had to check out your blog spot right away. Beautiful coat for Evie. Liam's hat is so cool. Off to check your earlier blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise! Hope you guys had a good Christmas.

      Delete
  4. It looks so beautiful and warm! Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is nice and warm on mildly cold days, but below -5Celsius, I am finding she needs a good sweater underneath.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done! I love the rich red with the pretty aqua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I can't believe my sewing store had the nice red wool - it's so rare for them to carry stuff like that.

      Delete
  6. The red coat is so very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coat looks great!
    I love the bubblegum coat. I was one of the testers for See Kate Sew, and I made a coat that looks a lot like yours (I used a thin red corduroy). It was my first coat ever too and I was very happy that I actually was able to sew it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked yours out - it is beautiful! And the corduroy makes it practical for more moderate weather.

      Delete
  9. Your bubblegum coat came out so well. That red wool is lovely. I'm really enjoying all the trapper hats I'm seeing out there this season and this is no exception :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! After this, my husband ended up requesting a trapper hat too, and I made him one with See Kate Sew's adult pattern.

      Delete
  10. I love your hats! I live in TX so that trapper hat would not make sense, but those gnome hats are adorable! Great job on the coat too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So funny, my problem was the opposite, with the gnome hats not being warm enough up here in Canada - at this time of year anyway.

      Delete
  11. This is such a great winter wonderland look.
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. that coat is so fun! I've never made one before, but I really love the red color too! I also linked up to Project Run and Play... a bathrobe I made for my son! Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your bathrobe - looks great and cozy.

      Delete
  13. Those hats are darling! I'm so glad you were brave enough to make a coat too! It turned out darling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhh, the bubblegum coat!! We've been wanting to make that one as well!!! LOVE the bright red with pops of blue...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's kasha lining and is really the very best lining for coats. It's often pricy new, but I comb the thrift and resale shps and sometimes find older winter coats that have nice wool and kasha lining. These are easily upcycled for kids coats, scarves, mitts and and hats. Those '90s swing coats often offer nice swaths of uncut lining.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover