Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison)

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside


The blog Elegance and Elephants is hosting a series called "Roots: Sewing Your Heritage", where people are invited to sew their children clothes based on their heritage. When I saw this, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to sew something with the Newfoundland plaid fabric I eye every time I am at the fabric store - that is, at any fabric store in the city, because they all carry it! (Okay, there are only 3 fabric stores in the city, but still.)

My kids are Canadian, and their heritage is a big mix: French, Polish, English, Irish and even a bit of M├ętis (a race created by intermarriage between Canadian First Nations people and European settlers). So there was no clear traditional dress I could identify for them. I was raised in the Canadian province of Manitoba, and have lived in 4 other provinces since then, but my kids have spent most of their lives here in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, where we have lived for the past 3 and half years.

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside

Now, before moving here, I would have said I would be more likely to know a province's flag, and maybe be vaguely aware of the official flower. But people here are aware of the Newfoundland plaid!   Maybe because the Irish heritage here is so strong - even the Newfoundland accent has a very strong Irish-like lilt.

When I first moved out here to the Atlantic coast of Canada, I went on a trip to the neighboring province of Nova Scotia, and bought my daughter a handmade plaid kilt - not being aware that it was the Nova Scotia blue plaid!  Greeters even wear it at the Halifax (NS) airport.

So now, my kids have locally appropriate plaid clothes!

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I decided to make some more modern clothes with the traditional plaid. For my daughter, I found a lovely lightweight cotton version of the plaid at the local quilting store Sewing World. I sewed her a dress using the pattern for the Daydream Ruffle Dress by See Kate Sew. I love the high-low hem!

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside

For my son, I bought a heavier version of the plaid material - the kind of weight you would use for a kilt. I sewed him pants using the Number 9 Trousers pattern by Shwin Designs.

Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I also wanted to throw some of my heritage in there, so I made him a t-shirt with bison on it, the animal symbol of my home province of Manitoba!

I created a stencil using my Silhouette cutting machine (so handy!) and used it to paint bison all over some white cotton jersey. I used black jersey for the back and arms. The t-shirt pattern is the Flashback skinny tee by Made by Rae

While I was at it, I sewed up another Flashback Tee in some tiger fabric, since this was on my sewing to-do list.  Same pattern, different fabric.  The fit using this material seems more snug.
Traditional Newfoundland Plaid (and some Manitoba Bison) sewn by Cicely Ingleside
Doing his best tiger impression to go with the t-shirt.

My son loved this fabric and wore the shirt all day. It is a Lillestoff organic cotton fabric I bought from Kitschy Coo.  (Amanda from Kitschy Coo was so wonderful to deal with, I want to add!  Great customer service.)

My husband requested a bow-tie in this fabric too. I made him one but neglected to take pictures. He's never worn a bow tie before. We'll see if he wears it. That would be a picture worth posting!

1 comment:

  1. Newfoundland plaid…AWESOME! I love how you made matching boy/girl outfits for your children…so precious! Nfld is the one province I haven't had the pleasure to visit, yet, but I look forward to seeing it one day. :) Thank you for sewing along.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover