Friday, 25 July 2014

KCW 2: Girl Clothes for Summer

Blue toile and pink flourescent jumpsuit sewn by Cicely Ingleside

Hello!  I am continuing with my self-imposed challenge to use Kids' Clothes Week to spur myself to post some of the kids' clothes I have made recently. This first one is one of my favourites. 

I had originally planned on making a dress with these fabrics, but somehow, I was just feeling jumpsuit when I picked them up. If you have looked at kids' sewing on the web this summer, you have probably seen this awesome pattern: the Ash Jumpsuit from Willow & Co pattern collective, designed by Celina of the blog Petit à Petit and Family. It's a fabulous pattern - it can make these pieces as separates too.

Blue toile and pink flourescent jumpsuit sewn by Cicely Ingleside

The pink fabrics are by Michael Miller, from last year: called Neon Dot and Neon Solids (in pink, obviously). The bottom is a gorgeous toile print which I found in the remnants in my local Fabricville store.

Blue toile and pink flourescent jumpsuit sewn by Cicely Ingleside
Jumping in a jumpsuit
Next, I had really wanted to try a smocked sundress, so I used this tutorial for a "honeycomb" smocked sundress by An of Straight Grain

Mint and gold smocked sundress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

The dress was all one piece (except for the straps), but I did struggle a bit with getting the size of the smocked honeycomb bits right. You can see them a bit better here:

Mint and gold smocked sundress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

The fabric is a beautiful mint with god dots by Michael Miller, from the "Glitz" fabric line. I had bought it a few months ago from Fabric.com, and since then I have seen it all over the web. (No wonder, it is beautiful.)

I had bought this gold zipper without a project in mind, because I can't pass up gold and sparkly, and fortunately, it matched just right.

Mint and gold smocked sundress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I have the worst pictures of this last dress, but it is one of my favourite outfits. (Hmm... I said that about the last one, didn't I? Truthfully, I've also had some failed projects this summer, but I am not rushing to post them. Though sometimes I think it would be hilarious to post all the terrible and failed projects together.)

Metallic Sweetheart Dress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I came across a selection of these African print fabrics with metallic sheen on one side when I was on a trip to Toronto a few months ago, and had visited King Textiles. I sooo regret not buying more... I was trying to be responsible since I already had a bag full of fabric to take home. I bought this fabric for my daughter, who loves purple and who also loves sparkly and shiny (the apple does not fall far from the tree), and a blue version for myself. There were other patterns and colourways, though, and it was only about $6/yard.  It even washes well in the machine. Sigh.... next time I'll buy more.

I used a pattern called the Sweetheart dress by Very Shannon, which has a very cute heart cut-out in back.

Metallic Sweetheart Dress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I took these photos a month or so ago, when we were still having cool days, but she wore this just yesterday without a long-sleeve shirt underneath.

I love summer... even when it is short here in Canada, it kind of seems endless when we are in the middle of it.

2 comments:

  1. woah! love the smocking. and would love to try that someday. very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am glad I tried it first on a simple dress, because it was easy to alter the width of the dress when I didn't make the smocked bits tight enough.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover